This colorful take on Taiwanese bubble tea has a blue base and a delicious strawberry cream topping. While it requires more time and concentration than other recipes, all boba lovers agree that it’s well worth it!
This recipe is a fun spin on traditional milk tea because it’s colorful and creative. The garnishes are optional but add a lot to the mermaid theme. Whether you are making it for a special occasion or just because you’re craving a milky sweet treat, we know you’ll love this recipe!Print
What Does Mermaid Bubble Tea Taste Like?
This colorful creation tastes like coconut milk tea with floral undertones. The strawberry whipped cream adds a sweet hint of fruitiness that pairs very well with the jasmine tea.
Looking at this blue drink, you may expect a different flavor. However, the food coloring doesn’t change the taste of the boba milk tea.
Is Mermaid Bubble Tea Healthy?
Jasmine tea offers multiple health benefits, including the following:
- It is rich in antioxidants.
- It can help with weight loss.
- It promotes oral health.
- It may be good for your heart health.
- It may help protect against Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s.
- It could lower your risk of type 2 diabetes.
- It can promote brain function.
- It might reduce the risk of certain cancers.
Another health benefit of mermaid bubble tea is that the milk contains calcium. However, with all the added sugars and fats, it isn’t a boba drink we recommend drinking daily.
How Much Caffeine Is in Mermaid Boba Tea?
The average cup of jasmine tea, six ounces, contains around 25 mg of caffeine. This recipe uses only five ounces of tea. Steeping the tea in five ounces of water will yield the same caffeine content. However, if you boil six ounces of water and only use five in your recipe, the caffeine content will be slightly less than 25 mg.
To compare, black tea averages 47 mg per six ounces, and coffee has approximately 90 mg of caffeine per eight ounces.
Can You Use Different Tea Flavors in This Recipe?
While this recipe calls for jasmine tea as its base, you can substitute some tea flavors.
- Green tea has a grassier, sweeter taste and pairs well with strawberry cream.
- Fruit tea is an excellent choice because of its sweet taste and fruity base.
- Black tea is also possible, but the tea flavor would be more robust and malty.
- Matcha may be a little too earthy to pair well with the overall sweetness of this drink, and it would also change the color.
Is the Gold Dust Garnish Necessary?
Most garnishes are simply for show. They are not necessary to make the drink delicious. However, they add a fun, whimsical element that holds up to this drink’s name. You can use rainbow sprinkles if you can’t find edible gold dust.
Which Toppings Are Best in Mermaid Milk Tea?
Gold dust, cookies, strawberry whipped cream, and tapioca pearls are the typical toppings for this milk tea recipe. However, the options are endless!
A few other great additions include:
- Fresh fruit, like strawberries, coconut chunks, or melon
- Taro balls
- Popping boba
- Chocolate shavings
- Coconut jelly